Director of Development
FamilyAid Boston (FAB) is Greater Boston’s leading provider of solutions to family homelessness. It’s mission is to empower parents and caregivers facing homelessness to secure and sustain housing and build strong foundations for their children’s futures.
Under new executive leadership, the hundred-plus year-old agency has launched bold new strategies to dramatically increase its prevention programs, housing and supportive services for children, putting the organization on a fast-growth trajectory, with philanthropy as critical institutional driver.
A key FAB priority is to significantly elevate its philanthropic results, given its strong existing donor base and growing list of promising new prospects. The Board of Directors is fully engaged in this new direction, having made a significant investment to grow fundraising resources. To support this growth, the agency seeks a dynamic, driven Director of Development to oversee all facets of development operations, foundation support, events and donor relations.
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Director of Development (DOD) will help to align increased and deepened fundraising initiatives with FAB’s bold vision for the future. The DOD will oversee two fundraising team members who implement the agency’s annual fund program, events, prospect research, database management and communications. This team is planned to grow over the next two years. The DOD will also initially serve as the front-line grants fundraiser with an important and sizeable portfolio of foundation and corporate donors and prospects.
· Work closely with the President and Chief Development Officer to design, plan and execute a fundraising strategy to increase support from the Board of Directors, key contributors and top prospects to broaden FAB’s base of support.
· Collaborate with FAB staff, Board of Directors and Fundraising Committee to proactively enhance, expand, and execute the development effort, building on current and establishing new relationships.
· Manage foundation relations and foundation application and reporting activities
· Develop new engagement opportunities, particularly for major gift donors, foundations and corporations.
· Manage the current development team of 2 and oversee all related activities.
· Create and oversee development department budgets, ensuring that both revenue and expense goals are met.
· Supervise the appropriate use of donor software and reporting, ensuring donor privacy, data accuracy and timeliness of acknowledgements and reporting.
· Oversee marketing communications efforts – including materials, messaging and social media – focused and designed to increase annual philanthropic support.
· Establish development policies, systems, and procedures, with a special emphasis on professionalism and ethical standards for soliciting, acknowledging, tracking and reporting gifts.
· Devise solicitations/support materials with the intent to attract new gifts and upgrade gifts from existing donors.
· Foster a culture of continuous improvement utilizing fundraising best practices in internal and external customer service.
Possess strong core ethics, integrity, and accountability consistent with FamilyAid Boston’s Mission, Vision and Values.
Align and lead self and staff towards achievement of FamilyAid Boston’s mission, vision, values, strategic plan and annual operational and financial plans.
Identify internal and external expectations and exceed them.
Work in a manner that is diplomatic, inclusive, transparent, communicative, open and fair.
Promote a high performance culture.
Serve as a reliable and upbeat colleague in collaborative efforts to achieve the agency’s annual goals and objectives.
Work in sync with leadership and staff to ensure a positive and safe workplace.
Undertake other duties/or assignments as assigned by the Chief Development Officer and/or President.
Bachelor’s degree required, MBA or graduate degree in a related field a plus.
· Appreciation of FamilyAid Boston’s mission and ability to be an effective spokesperson.
· 7+ years of development leadership experience in relevant non-profit organization.
· Proven success in foundation relations management and grant writing.
· Experience leading a team focused on the support necessary for successful fundraising.
· Proven success in fundraising from individuals including prospect identification, cultivation, and stewardship.
· Some major gift solicitation experience, having secured major donations.
· Knowledge of CRM software capabilities; must be comfortable with data, analytics, reporting and related tools.
· Ability to work some nights, early mornings and weekends as events and meetings require.
· Excellent communication skills, both written and interpersonal.
· Strong analytical skills and ability to think strategically and creatively with exceptional attention to detail, and to manage and meet deadlines.
· Poise, maturity, flexibility and ability to work as a collaborative team player are essential.
Bilingual/bicultural a plus.
Ability to work in office and field based settings with a diverse, homeless population.
Flexibility and compassion essential.
Location: 727 Atlantic Avenue, Boston MA through September 30, and 3815 Washington Street, Jamaica Plain, MA after October 1
To apply: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. You may also submit your materials via postal mail to: Human Resources, FamilyAid Boston, 727 Atlantic Avenue, Boston, MA 02111.
FamilyAid Boston is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age.
To learn more about this opportunity email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org