Our passionate research team investigates the impact of various strategies for helping animals to provide the best possible advice to animal advocates, donors, and charities. We bring a high level of dedication, intelligence, compassion, and resourcefulness to work every day. We are an agile organization that shifts when necessary to meet our goals; individuals who are comfortable with a fast pace and a remote/virtual workplace do well here.
We are looking for new researchers to join our team in evaluating animal charities, assisting with our grantmaking, and keeping up to date with research relevant to our program decisions. This position will involve developing and implementing research project strategies and activities, including designing, managing, and executing research projects and conducting data analysis and program evaluation.
This position offers an exciting opportunity to contribute to a robust understanding of effective ways to help animals. The ideal candidate will have strong reasoning and communication skills and bring to ACE a relevant background (in animal advocacy, evaluation, or a related academic field) that differentiates their views from others on our team.
Key areas of responsibility
– Compose charity evaluations. In collaboration with a team, you will learn the intricacies of specific interventions and consolidate the information to inform charity evaluations. You will lead the drafting of some criteria in our charity reviews.
– Suggest improvements to ACE’s charity recommendations process. You will have the chance to help refine the core aspects of our evaluative work, which will impact our overall findings; e.g., you will identify research topics that support charity evaluations or improve our evaluation methodology.
– Support grantmaking decisions for ACE Movement Grants. You will have the opportunity to participate in the ACE Movement Grants review committee, assess applications and proposals from around the world, and weigh in on the decision-making process.
– Contribute to ACE’s research strategy. We are continually learning new information and considering our direction as an organization. You will have the opportunity to provide meaningful feedback in strategic discussions.
– Collaborate with individual advocates and external organizations. One of the most interesting aspects of our work at ACE is the opportunity to discuss strategies with various animal advocacy groups through the course of our evaluative work, as well as learn from individual advocates from around the world. You will have regular opportunities to engage with academics and the advocacy community.
– Manage research fellows. Through our research fellowship program, you will have opportunities to supervise fellows working on research projects, facilitating the development of your management skills as you help develop the skills of fellows taking part in the program.
– Compose reports on research projects. You will hone your writing skills by constructing evaluations, blog entries, and other materials for publication on our website.
– Find and review external studies and research relevant to farm animal advocacy, wild animal welfare, and other potentially high-impact fields. We currently view farmed animal advocacy and wild animal welfare as the most effective ways to help the greatest number of animals, but we are actively considering other possibilities. You will be at the forefront of our research, helping investigate new exciting opportunities for maximizing our impact and shaping ACE’s direction in the future.
Charity evaluations. You will participate in our charity evaluation process, including generating a list of relevant charities, researching and writing reviews, and selecting charities for recommendation. (Example review: The Humane League.)
Movement Grants. You will have the opportunity to participate in our Movement Grants process, which involves reviewing and discussing hundreds of applications from around the world and making funding decisions in conjunction with a committee of other researchers. (Example: 2021 ACE Movement Grants.)
Literature reviews of relevant topics. You will research a topic relevant to animal advocacy and write about the findings most pertinent to ACE’s work. (Example topic: What is the effect of Institutional Outreach on the Availability of Animal-Free Products?)
We are hiring researchers at all seniority levels. The application process is the same for everyone. We will determine the appropriate position for each selected candidate based on the following descriptions:
– Research associate: Qualified applicants have up to two years of relevant experience.
– Researcher: Qualified applicants have between two and five years of relevant experience.
– Senior researcher: Qualified applicants have five or more years of relevant experience.
– Commitment to ACE’s mission, which is to find and promote the most effective ways to help animals
– Strong quantitative and qualitative reasoning skills
– Openness to topics outside mainstream advocacy efforts
– Shared commitment to increasing representation/diversity, equity, and inclusion in our movement and organization
– High degree of professionalism, including discretion in handling confidential information
– Ability to work both independently and in a team
– Strong attention to detail, with a commitment to high-quality work
– Good written communication skills
– Highly organized and self-motivated
– Understanding of statistics
– Excellent oral communication skills
– Demonstrated strategic thinking skills
– Solid understanding of social movements and social change
– Familiarity with effective altruism
– Skills in spreadsheet software such as Excel
– Experience with statistical software such as R or SPSS
Commitment to diversity and equal employment opportunities
Animal Charity Evaluators provides equal employment opportunities, highly values diversity, and is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We want to engage all those who can contribute to our mission and to making an impact. We offer a mission- and employee-focused virtual work environment and a competitive compensation package.
We strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, persons living with disabilities, and people of various socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position.
Animal Charity Evaluators is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member) or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
All applications will be processed in strict confidentiality. ACE thanks all candidates for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
About Animal Charity Evaluators
Animal Charity Evaluators (ACE) is a U.S.-based, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to finding and promoting highly effective opportunities to improve the lives of animals. Through evaluating animal charities and researching interventions used to help animals, we aid compassionate givers, professionals, and volunteers in making informed decisions about how to help animals as effectively as possible. We also award grants to smaller organizations to help grow the animal advocacy movement in impactful ways.
To learn more about this opportunity please visit the following URL: https://animalcharityevaluators.org/about/contributors/join-our-team/general-researcher/ →